These insurance plans can offer emergency medical protection for visitors, immigrants, international students and residents who are not covered by government health insurance. Visiting guests can be covered by valid medical health insurance, which begins upon arrival here insofar as it is bought ahead of travel.
Emergency medical expenses While travelling outside your country or locality, your government health insurance may partially cover some costs. Daily or annual coverage is great if you travel to warmer climates in the winter or travel year-round.
What about travel coverage? International travel covers an insured individual with emergency insurance which pays for expenses related to an emergency medical condition (covered by the plan). These expenses may be a hospital stay, prescription drugs, ambulance transportation, etc. Please refer to the policy for more details.
Coverage can include these expenses:
- Bedside companion travel and sustenance allowance
- Ambulance transportation
- Diagnostic (X-ray, lab tests)
- Hospital (semi-private room)
- Flight and travel accident coverage
- Prescription drugs
- Physician or surgeon
- Return transportation to the location of travel departure if emergency medical attention is needed
- Emergency dental treatment by a licensed dentist and associated cost of prescription drugs while the insured is travelling.
- Accidental injury, dismemberment, or death by accident where the accident occurred during travel
- Loss/damage of baggage and personal effects
- Trip cancellation and interruption
Understand the details. It is better to fill in a form and get a copy of the questions and answers within a contract pertaining to any age-related or medical underwriting processes, if not in person, via a digital meeting and signature. File these documents in case of the need to claim against travel insurance. Avoid policy cancellation due to misinforming the insurer concerning medical questions, which must reveal all medical history and medications used, plus retain a hard copy as your proof.
Note: Refer to the policy, which may vary. Individual plans may be purchased outside of an employer’s group plan.